Great James Baldwin Quotes on his 95th Birthday
Novelist, activist, and playwright would be turning 95 today (born on August 2nd, 1924, in Harlem, New York). Here are some great James Baldwin quotes in remembrance of this great author.
- People are trapped in history and history is trapped in them.
- Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war; love is a growing up.
- The most dangerous creation of any society is the man who has nothing to lose.
- Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.
- Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them.
- Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
- To be a Negro in this country and to be relatively conscious is to be in a rage almost all the time.
- It is certain, in any case, that ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have.
- I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.
- The price one pays for pursuing any profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.