Malcolm Gladwell Teaches Writing in this MasterClass
FTC Disclosure: Bad Grammarian may receive compensation, with no added cost to you, from the companies whose courses and products we showcase. We only partner with the very best and reputable companies. Bad Grammarian is independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own.
Ketchup. Crime. Quarterbacks. Thanks to Malcolm Gladwell, these ordinary subjects have helped millions of readers devour complex ideas like behavioral economics and performance prediction. Now, the renowned storyteller and best-selling author of Blink and The Tipping Point is teaching his craft online for the first time. Write stories that captivate by learning how Malcolm researches topics, crafts characters, and distills big ideas into simple, powerful narratives.
Malcolm Gladwell MasterClass Lesson Plan
- Structuring Narrative: The Imperfect Puzzle
- Holding Readers: Tools for Engagement
- Holding Readers: Controlling Information
- Selecting the Story
- Developing the Story
- Developing the Story: Analogous Worlds
- Characters: Descriptions
- Characters: World Building
- Character Case Study: “The Pitchman”
- Structuring Language
- Tone and Voice
- Humor and Melancholy
- Case Study: Language and Emotion in “Something Borrowed”
- Drafts and Revisions
- When your Story Enters the World
- Working as a Writer
- How to Read
- Who to Read
- Conclusion: A Theory of Other Minds
How much does MasterClass cost?
The annual membership is $180 and provides unlimited access to all classes and new classes as they launch. All MasterClass memberships include access to mobile and TV apps, high-definition videos, and downloadable class workbooks.